Anybody remember Matrimelee/Power Instinct?

HokutoNoBen · 3836

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: January 29, 2009, 03:44:18 AM
http://img135.imagevenue.com/get_code.php?loc=loc1159&image=47237_696330_122_1159lo.jpg

Another goodie revealed in this week's Famitsu ish.

Seems like Atlus of Japan, too, wants to get in on this "2D style Vs. Fighter revival", by bringing back their quirky series that starred, among other crazy individuals, evil grannies that could kick your ass several ways to Sunday. With their DENTURES, no less.  8D

As a fighting game fan, as well as one who loved a number of the games in this series, I'm looking forward to seeing what this game could be all about, as it looks like it just takes off right where the last game left off. Even the overall sprite/art-style looks to be the same.

Any way, I just wanted to share...and if you don't know at all what I'm talking about, well then....

Get educated: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/powerinstinct/powerinstinct.htm

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:57:05 AM
I've heard of it but never had the chance to play this, so I'm look forward to it. As a fighting game fan, this week has pleased me with Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus announced for NA and this :D

So, since this is a 2D sprite fighter is it safe to say that it'll be an arcade game with a PS2/PSP/Wii port (if any that is)?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:06:09 AM
I would assume as such. I highly doubt that Atlus would invest in making this game a HD-quality game.

The "Goketsuji" series enjoyed a nice period of being favored in Japan (was practically unknown outside of Japan), but it was still no where near the likes of SF, KOF or Guilty Gear, when it came to mass appeal.

So, between having little to no appeal abroad, as well as trying to cater to as much of the JP audience as possible? Going along the PS2 and/or Wii route seems that much more likely. But we'll have to wait for it actually grace arcades first...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:08:40 AM
Or to have the name of the board it uses revealed =P

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 04:31:10 AM
Or to have the name of the board it uses revealed =P

Heh.

With the way Capcom was able to keep TvC's board under wraps (and CONTINUED to do so, until basically a few weeks ago when some one else leaked it!), who knows if others may follow suit?  8D

Any way, I could imagine this being on Examu's self-named board. Relatively cheap, not HD, probably able to be ported to the likes of the PS2/Wii rather easily enough, and could stand to have fairly good distribution (thanks to Arcana Heart 2 paving the way).

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 04:53:15 AM
Heh.

With the way Capcom was able to keep TvC's board under wraps (and CONTINUED to do so, until basically a few weeks ago when some one else leaked it!),

You mean when they showed the inside of the board or did we actually get a name?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:44:02 AM
To my record, we never did get a name. But we being able to see the innards just proved it was indeed Wii-tech.

Posted on: January 29, 2009, 06:04:23
A bit more unveiled...

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/imagesnews/n0901a.jpg
http://www.neo-arcadia.com/imagesnews/n0901b.jpg
http://www.neo-arcadia.com/imagesnews/n0901c.jpg
- http://neo-arcadia.com/News/voir_news.php?id_news=13

Basically, by citing from AM-net's info (http://am-net.xtr.jp/game/profile.cgi?_v=1233142597), it's revealed that the game is a Taito X game (NOT X2, the two are different boards). Also, Noise Factory (who worked on the two Matrimelee games) is confirmed to be on board.

Ideally, more details will come at AOU in a few weeks. But it's plain to see which characters are already returning, if you're a Power Instinct/Matrimelee fan...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:36 AM
Uh, Ben, all images give a 403. I saw them in the other link anyways, so it doesn't matter much.

Basically, by citing from AM-net's info (http://am-net.xtr.jp/game/profile.cgi?_v=1233142597), it's revealed that the game is a Taito X game (NOT X2, the two are different boards). Also, Noise Factory (who worked on the two Matrimelee games) is confirmed to be on board.

Does this mean I can hope for a Wii port?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:06:11 AM
Uh, Ben, all images give a 403. I saw them in the other link anyways, so it doesn't matter much.

Don't understand why, but they're showing up for me and some others...

Does this mean I can hope for a Wii port?

It's certainly possible. Type X, at its "maximum potential", is basically closer to the "Xbox" tier of power (which Wii runs easily), but could also be made to run something akin to PS2-level specs. It all depends on the developer. Part of the allure of the Type X generation (both X and X2), is that it allows for this type of flexibility, cost-effectiveness, and such.

But any way...depending on how far Noise Factory pushes the hardware, either or possibly even both of the two is certainly viable.

Offline Trask

• Laid-back and easy-going
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoot to thrill...
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:09:10 AM
Wow.  This is certainly interesting.  I haven't played the original Power Instinct on my SNES in years.  It was among one of my favorite fighters.  If this hits the Wii, I'm definitely adding this to my list of must-buys this year!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:12:33 AM
Don't understand why, but they're showing up for me and some others...

Odd, they're showing now. Must be because of the cache.

But any way...depending on how far Noise Factory pushes the hardware, either or possibly even both of the two is certainly viable.

I'll call it right now, PS2/PSP/Wii, just like with Guilty Gear.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 06:20:05 AM
I'll call it right now, PS2/PSP/Wii, just like with Guilty Gear.

If Atlus was cool, like Aksys, I could certainly see such a thing.  8)

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:52:57 PM
Odd, they're showing now. Must be because of the cache.
It's called hotlinking protection, boya~. Simply clicking on it isn't the same as copy/pasta'ing; the first includes RPM as a referrer site and thus blocks the images. The second has no referrer set and thus must absolutely serve the images without complaining. :)